Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover - Installation Guide
In this installation guide, we will show you what's included with your Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover, pre-installation checklist, how to install and remove it the fast way, how to clean your cover, and some frequently asked questions.
- 1 x Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover
- 1 x Storage Bag
- 4 x Rain Gutters Protector
- 1 x Ladder Cap
- 1 x Repair Patch
- 1 x Weighted Buckles Bag
- Make sure your RV is clean before covering. Cleaning will remove any debris and grit that can trap moisture or affect your RV’s finish. A clean RV can’t transfer the dirt to your cover and will make your cover last longer.
- Look for sharp and “pokey” areas on your RV. Things like your side view mirrors, rain gutters, riveted edges, awnings, and more can cut, puncture, or put excessive pressure on your RV cover. Make sure these areas are padded before installing the cover. Your RV cover comes with a rain gutter and a ladder cap. Makes sure to use these to prevent the gutters and the ladder from ripping the cover.
How to Install your Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover
- STEP 1: Unpack the RV cover on a large, flat surface. A clean lawn or smooth driveway will work. Undo any buckles or snaps.
- STEP 2: Arrange the cover so the outside of the roof section is facing upwards.
- STEP 3: Identify the front of the cover there is a tag on the inside of the cover that indicates the front of the cover.
- STEP 4: Fold the sides of the RV cover towards the middle of the roof area. Roll the cover from BACK TO FRONT.
- STEP 5: Move the rolled-up cover to the roof of your RV, at the FRONT of your RV. Depending on your strength and coordination, you might require some help for this step (assuming you haven’t recruited someone to help with the entire process).
- STEP 6: With the rolled-up cover at the FRONT of the RV, unroll it towards the back. If the sides of the cover haven’t already started dropping, unfold them so they drape the sides of your RV.
- STEP 7: Begin your descent down the ladder, installing the ladder cap on your way. Then pull the cover down. (NOTE: Installation does not require you to climb on the roof. A ladder may be used. It is however much easier to install your cover if you are able to safely walk on your RV’s roof.)
- STEP 8: Before any bottom corner straps are secured, straighten out the cover and make sure all the straps are aligned on the RV so that it’s centered properly. Only then should you secure the bottom corners. Once they are in place. Adjust the straps and buckles located at each end of the Trailer Cover. Doing so will secure any excess fabric and prevent shifting in light wind.
- STEP 9: Finally, secure the bottom and middle straps and buckles. Use the weighted buckle bag to help toss the straps beneath Your RV.
- STEP 10: There you have it; your cover fits perfectly and you did a great job.
- Do NOT occupy the RV while cover is on the RV.
- Do NOT run the RV engine with the cover on.
- Do NOT install the cover on a windy day
- Do NOT install the cover on a slippery roof
Installation is best done with two people and most RVs require working from the roof of the RV.
Be sure that your helper does not pull the cover while you are installing it on the top of the RV.
Installation and removal are safer and easier when done by two people.
How to Remove your Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover
To remove your Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover, simply reverse the how to install process above and return the cover back to the storage bag. To easily fit your cover in the storage bag, fold and roll it tightly rather than stuffing it.
Important: Do NOT store a wet cover in the storage bag or confined area as the cover can be damaged by mildew.
How to Clean your cover
The RV cover can only be washed by hand. To wash the car cover by hand, simply install the cover on your vehicle and use a water hose to remove all the contaminants, then use a cloth with any multi-purpose cleaner to wash the cover. Apply the water again, then use can use a dry cloth or towel to dry out the cover or simply let it air dry.
- Do NOT use soap.
- Do NOT use bleach.
- Do NOT use fabric softener.
- Do NOT iron.
- Do NOT store the cover if wet.
- Air-dry the cover.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I measure my Fifth Wheel Trailer?
Length: Measure the longest point from the front to the rear of the trailer. For a fifth wheel, measure from the rear including bumper, spare tire and ladder, until the furthest point on the nose of the trailer coach. Exclude the hitch.
Height: Measure the trailer sidewalls at the highest point of the roofline down to the outside frame, excluding ground clearance, roof-mounted accessories, vents, and A/C units. Remember, don't stop at the top of the wheel well!
How to know what is the front of the cover?
All our covers come with a white tag labeled "FRONT". Note: in the event, the tag is not labeled front it is still the front of the cover.
What are all those vertical zippers around the cover?
The zippers on the cover are separated into panels giving you full access to the RV, In some cases, a zipper can be found in the back of the cover as well giving you access to the back.
What are the built in straps with velcro in the inside of the cover?
The built-in straps with velcro are needed only when you open the zipped panels and which to prevent them from collapsing.
How to install the ladder cap protection cover?
Put the ladder cap over the ladder and use the Velcro to tighten the cover in place. The ladder cover is to cover the ladder so it does not cause any rips or tears. It is always better to use the ladder cover.
The Fifth Wheel Trailer Cover comes with one ladder cap cover. Additional ladder cap covers can be purchase on our site. Click Here.
How to install the rain gutter protection cover?
Simply put the cover over the rain gutters and use the Velcro to tighten them in place. Make sure to use the rain gutter protectors (includes 4) to prevent them from tearing the cover.
The Fifth Wheel Trailer RV covers come with 4 rain gutters. Additional rain gutters can be purchase on our site. Click Here.
How to use the weighted buckles bag?
The bag has a black buckle which the straps can attach to. Simply fill the bag with rocks or sand and use to toss the straps underneath the RV.
All our RV covers come with one weighted buckle bag. Additional weighted buckles bags can be purchase on our site. Click Here.
Other useful installation guides