2020 Tesla Model Y Review: Performance, Comfort, SPecs
The 2020 Tesla Model Y is an entirely new, compact luxury SUV. It joins Tesla's electric SUV lineup, smaller than the Model X and lacking some prominent features. The Model Y is built on the foundation of the Model 3 sedan, sharing approximately 75% of its components, including similar interior and exterior designs, as well as the electric drivetrain system. While the Model Y provides ample cargo space, driving range, and numerous technological features, it lacks the excitement and groundbreaking features of other models. Despite delivering impressive acceleration, it doesn't offer the same level of driving satisfaction as the Model 3 (based on my personal driving experience). The Model Y offers more space for both passengers and cargo compared to the Model 3 but falls short in terms of innovation or excitement, as seen in Tesla's previous models.
What's new with the 2020 Model Y?
The 2020 Tesla Model Y has been enhanced with several new features. Here are some key highlights:
- Larger battery capacity (82kWh instead of ~75kWh)
- External speaker (Boombox)
- HEPA filter and Bioweapon mode
- Comprehensive rear casting (instead of two halves)
- Noise-reducing tubes for the heat pump
- Infrared cabin camera
- Seven-seat option
- Fixed turn signal cameras (non-glare)
Additionally, the 2020 Model Y features new door buttons and matte finish panels, automatically adjusting side mirrors, AMD processor, 12V lithium-ion battery, sealed front ball joint, matrix LED headlights (only on Performance versions), USB port in the glovebox for Sentry Mode, and a free thumb drive.
2020 Tesla Model Y Pricing
- 2020 Tesla Model Y Long Range: $47,000
- 2020 Tesla Model Y AWD: $51,000
- 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance: $60,000
Maybe you like our product 2020 Tesla Model Y Car Covers
2020 Tesla Model Y Exterior
The 2020 Tesla Model Y boasts a distinctive and sophisticated exterior design that was my initial impression upon first laying eyes on the vehicle. Here are some notable features:
- Shape: The Model Y exhibits a shape resembling a sedan but with increased height, featuring muscular lines and a high roof arch. From the rear, the trunk design resembles that of the Model X, creating a visual similarity between the two models.
- No chrome: The Model Y eliminates the use of chrome, opting instead for black emblems and matte black window trim. Door handles and camera casings are also painted in black.
- Side mirrors and front spoiler: The Model Y's side mirrors and front spoiler also feature unique designs. The compact size of the side mirrors is optimized to minimize wind resistance.
- Wheels: The Model Y offers wheel options of 19, 20, or 21 inches. Two out of the three available wheel designs come in a black finish.
Interior, amenities, and cargo space
After taking a glance at the exterior of the car, I opened the door and began to step inside to explore the interior world. I was immediately captivated and amazed by numerous standout designs within this vehicle. Below are some notable points:
- Seating: The Model Y features five seats. The front seats are plush and supportive, offering ample space for both head and legs, even for taller individuals. The rear seats, while not as soft as the front ones, still provide enough room for two adults or three children to sit comfortably. Additionally, the Model Y offers an optional third-row seating.
- Materials: The materials in the cabin are of high quality, although upon closer inspection, one might find some inconsistencies and decorative details that slightly diminish the Model Y's luxury appeal.
- Cargo space: The Model Y boasts 68 cubic feet of cargo space, divided into a smaller front trunk and a larger rear cargo area. This is quite substantial compared to other luxury hybrid and electric SUVs.
Overall, the 2020 Model Y interior reflects practicality and sophistication, leaving a lasting impression as I entered this space.
Entertainment Technology and Connectivity
After being captivated by the interior designs of the car, the technological aspects of the Tesla added another layer of fascination for me, as well as its astonishing modern features. Here are some highlights:
- 15-inch Touchscreen: This large touchscreen serves as the centerpiece of the car's entertainment and control system.
- 14-Speaker Sound System: This audio system delivers a high-quality sound experience.
- Wireless Charging for Two Mobile Phones: This feature allows you to charge your phones without the need for cables.
- Heated Front/Rear Seats and Steering Wheel: This feature enhances comfort on chilly days.
- Heat-Blocking Glass: The heat-blocking glass layer provides a serene driving experience and protects against UV rays.
- Standard and Premium Connectivity: Features utilizing high-speed mobile data, such as maps, navigation, and voice commands, all require at least Standard Connectivity.
- Ethernet Upgrade: The Model Y is equipped with Ethernet connections capable of achieving speeds of 1 gigabit, much faster than the Model 3.
In general, the 2020 Tesla Model Y provides me with an excellent driving experience with its advanced entertainment technology and connectivity.
Electric Motors, Power, and Performance
Finally, I got behind the wheel, stepped on the accelerator, and navigated this impressive electric vehicle. The 2020 Tesla Model Y is equipped with a permanent magnet synchronous motor paired with a 75 kWh lithium-ion battery, effortlessly delivering an electric range of 303 miles (488 km) for the Performance model, 326 miles (525 km) for the Long Range AWD model, and 244 miles (393 km) for the Standard Range model.
The all-wheel-drive models feature dual electric motors. These powerful motors contribute to the Model Y's quick and silent acceleration, providing superior power on the highway. The Model Y Standard Range can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds. The Model Y Long Range can achieve 0 to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds, while the Model Y Performance can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds.
You can recharge the Model Y's battery at home, at a public charging station, or at one of Tesla's Supercharger stations. Supercharging offers the fastest charging speed and can replenish approximately 158 miles of driving range in just 15 minutes.
Range, Charging, and Battery Life of Model Y
The range of the vehicle depends on the version you choose. If you opt for the Performance Model Y, this car will carry you an average of 303 miles (about 488 km) on a full charge. If you consider the Long-Range Model Y, you can expect a longer-lasting battery, covering 330 miles (about 531 km) on the same full charge.
You can recharge the Model Y battery at home, at a public charging station, or at one of Tesla's Supercharger stations. Supercharging provides the fastest charging speed, and it can restore about 158 miles of driving range in 15 minutes.
As for the battery lifespan, the Model Y battery can last from 300,000 to 500,000 miles. If you drive 15,000 miles per year, it could theoretically last 20 to 33 years. Tesla has also tested drive units to extend up to 1 million miles.
Safety features, driver assistance
What makes me feel reassured and ahead of the curve when driving the 2020 Model Y is the abundance of safety features and driver assistance options. These elements contribute to my optimal driving experience, alleviating concerns about surrounding issues.
The 2020 Tesla Model Y is equipped with numerous advanced safety features and driver assistance functionalities. Here are some standout points that I have come to know and experience:
- Automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection: This feature helps prevent accidents by detecting pedestrians and applying brakes automatically.
- Lane departure warning with lane-keeping assistance: This feature alerts the driver when the vehicle leaves its lane and helps keep the car within the lane.
- Adaptive cruise control with autopilot mode: This feature allows the driver to adjust the vehicle's speed to maintain a safe distance from the car ahead.
- Collision avoidance assistance: This feature helps minimize the severity of collisions or prevents accidents altogether.
- Speed assistance: This feature aids the driver in easily controlling the speed of the vehicle.
- Cabin camera: This camera enhances the safety and security features of the car.
In summary, the 2020 Tesla Model Y provides me with a safe driving experience through advanced safety features and driver assistance functionalities.
2020 Tesla Model Y SPecs
|Engine Options||dual Electric Motors|
|Horsepower||259 - 503 hp options|
|Range||280 - 315 miles|
|Charging Time||10h (240v), 15m (Supercharger)|
|Torque||310 - 497 lb-ft|
|Transmission Options||1-speed direct drive|
|Drivetrain||All wheel drive|
|Top Speed||209 - 217 km/h|
|Acceleration 0-100 km/h||5.5s - 3.5s|
|Fuel Efficiency||127/114 MPG|
|Overall Length||187.0 inches|
|Overall Width||83.8 inches|
|Overall Height||63.9 inches|
|Ground Clearance||6.6 inches|
|Seating Capacity||5 seats|
|Infotainment Screen Size||15 inches|
Maybe you like 2020 Tesla Model X Review: Performance, Technology and Specs